Date:      Sun, 25 May 1997 19:35:58 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        "FreeBSD Current Users' list" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Weird behaviour from the Linux emulator

The Linux emulator has a weird idea of the filesystem, mixing the real one
with the one rooted at /compat/linux. To see this, open Acroread (or any
other Linux application), open "/" and then goes to "/usr". Watch now the
program displaying everything that's in "/compat/linux/usr" instead of the
real "/usr"...

I understand the need to shadow the real filesystem but it should be done
only for the search for libraries/binaries, not for every open(2) call.

I don't know how to fix it but it makes some applications hard -- if not
impossible -- to use. I found it when a Linux backup program ended up
confused about the filesystem and couldn't complete any backup.

--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: There are no limits -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #10: Fri May 23 22:47:39 CEST 1997