Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 09:55:36 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        bsd@smmcroute.smmc.qld.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD newbie installer...almost ready

On Wed, Sep 10, 1997 at 09:11:54AM +0000, bsd@smmcroute.smmc.qld.edu.au wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I am almost confident enough to try the install thing (properly this
> time!...I think I mucked it up first time?)
> Some queries... the answers on HELP on which are not clear enough to
> me.
> a)   If I find a conflict...what do I do..remove the conflicting
> driver/whatever?

You mean conflicts in UserConfig?  Mainly, you can ignore them.
They're only a problem if they're backed by real hardware.

> b) Is it best to remove the drivers etc which don't appear relevant?

No.

> What if I just leave them?

They'll look for the hardware, not find it, and give up.

> c) Do I have to do the systems file thing...my guess is that if I
> wish to add modems and routing capabilities and dialout etc I might
> have to get all the system files too.

What do you mean by "the systems file thing"?

> d) When I have to choose the slices etc...do I just let the defaults
> happen? Are they enough given I wish to make this box a router ?

That depends greatly on the size of your disk.

> e)  Does Microsoft know its been copying UN*X ?      ; ^ )

Yes.  It was one of the stated intentions of MS-DOS 2.0, back in 1984
or so.

>  (p.s. it  hasn't been doing a very good job!)

Right.

Greg