Date:      Fri, 09 Nov 2001 13:45:18 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Subject:   Re: Measuring interrupt latency

One a related, timekeeping note:  is there any interest in updating or
extending the SO_TIMESTAMP socket option to return higher resolution
timestamps?  Currently, it returns a struct timeval.

I did a quick survey, and it appears that there are applications which
use this facility (though, surprisingly, not NTP despite the patch I
sent off years ago). I suspect these applications would be surprised to
discover a struct timespec. Also, NetBSD and OpenBSD have picked up this
code and apparently Linux has a form of it as well.

Based on some email from a week or two ago, I wonder if there's value
in returning a timestamp in the 64.64 format that phk proposed
previously, along with some additional status information.  Related
to the packet timestamping work I mentioned in a previous message, I
added a SO_TIMESTAMP2 socket option which returned a higher resolution
timestamp, along with auxilary data to identify the source of the
timestamp where there might be more than one clock available, as well
as some quality information (synchronized, estimated freq and phase
error, etc.)

If this interface was going to be extended, then it would be good
to only revisit this once.

louie