Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 19:35:22 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Chris Richards <crichard@wso.williams.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Cameron Grant <cg@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sound Blaster Live! 4.0 (Re: 4.1 date?)

Chris Richards wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 03:26:48PM -0500, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>
> > > Just beware that it may spontaneously reboot your machine.
> >
> > Why would it do that?  Did it do that for you?
>
> In my experience, it seems to consistently do that on Dell XPS T
> machines (like mine) with ECC memory.  The driver loads without
> incident, but the system reboots with a parity error (NMI, I suppose)
> as soon as the audio device is opened/written.
>
> The same thing happened when I ran Linux with its respective driver.

	That's interesting. I also have ECC memory, but I didn't see any error
messages about it. I have an Asus P2B motherboard, and I'm certain that
ECC is turned on. I'm cc'ing the author of the driver here.

Doug
--
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.