Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 12:26:09 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/1868: keyboard leds

Bruce Evans wrote:

> The following reply was made to PR kern/1868; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
> To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, julian@current1.whistle.com
> Cc:  Subject: Re: kern/1868: keyboard leds
> Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 13:57:50 +1000
>
>  >>Synopsis:       system knows it has no keyboard but complains leds won't work
>
>  >      During the probe, pcvt says:
>  >pcvt: doreset() - Caution - no PC keyboard detected!
>  >vt0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
>  >Keyboard LED command not ACKed (responses 0xfe 0xfe)
>  >Keyboard LED command not ACKed (responses 0xfe 0xfe)
>  >Keyboard LED command not ACKed (responses 0xfe 0xfe)
>  >Keyboard LED command not ACKed (responses 0xfe 0xfe)
>  >Keyboard LED command not ACKed (responses 0xfe 0xfe)
>  >Keyboard LED command not ACKed (responses 0xfe 0xfe)
>  >Keyboard LED command not ACKed (responses 0xfe 0xfe)
>  >Keyboard LED command not ACKed (responses 0xfe 0xfe)
>  >Keyboard LED command not ACKed (responses 0xfe 0xfe)
>  >
>  >well, DUH! maybe that's because there is no keyboard,
>  >as mentioned in the previous row??
>
>  It doesn't know.  The keyboard might have been plugged in
>  between the time when it not detected and the time when the
>  LED commands are issued, although this is unlikely during
>  the boot.
>
>  >bde added the led changes
>
>  Previously it told me that I had no keyboard, and didn't
>  print anything for the LED errors, but I had a keyboard,
>  and everything except setting the LEDs worked.
COuldn't it be less verbose if there's a chance that
there is no keyboard?

this really is not urgent or important..
just a comment that people have been making..
(they are coming up to me and saying "I have a problem with my machine,
it's giving me new error messages" as they normally run with no
keyboard)