Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 09:38:47 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Gene@bomgardner.net
Cc:        freeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VPN via silly MSN router/modem

Gene Bomgardner wrote:
> I was wondering whether anyone has any experience setting up a
> VPN with the following setup:
>
> WIN-XP    WIN-98   WIN 98   WIN XP
>     |                 |               |             |
>     |--------------|------------|-----------|
>                      FBSD 4.6
>                    DSL Modem/router
>                       (PPPoE)
>                         MSN (isp)
>
>                              ^
>                       WIN-ME
> PPP is actually run between MSN supplied router/modem and
> MSN. Is there a document, howto, etc that might be of help? Has
> anyone set this sort of configuration up?

I've done this only the endpoint machine was an NT server, not
Win ME.
The MPD program in FreeBSD will let you setup a Microsoft compatable
PPTP server.  Then you can install PPTP on WinME and connect.
Install MPD from the ports, read the man pages:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=mpd&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+Ports&format=html
And feel free to ask specific questions if you get stuck during
the setup.  It is a _little_ tricky.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies