Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 14:13:17 +1000
From:      Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bad144 missing?

On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 10:00:24AM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 08:49:46PM +0400, Grigoriy Strokin wrote:
> > Accidentally, I've found out that /usr/sbin/bad144 in my fbsd 4.0
> > is dated by December, and there is no bad144 in /usr/src.
> > So, has it disappeared?
>
> Yes it has been removed.  Modern drives do it for you.  By the time you

my "modern drive" dosen't, it is a 1992 fujitsu 345 mb esdi
with 6 bad sectors in the manufactuers 'bad blocks table' that
even after some sever abuse over the years has failed to add
one bad block ... unlke the so called new rubbish that drops
bad blocks as soon as you look at it or breat in its direction.

some of us freebsd users canot afford to upgrade every time the
rich deside to follow a new whim .. what are we going to do ?

freebsd is becomin a toy for the "rich americans" it may have
had good begining and tradition but now its just another way to
sell cdroms other paraphenalia and of cources now that bsdi is
involved service cntracts for freebsd and that other old war
horse bsd/os .. both hobbled together both strugling bith now
suffering under the weight of popular opinion.

it is a sad day when a project becomes driven by populism as
opposed to the tenents of development it lauds so highly.

take care sooner or latter people will wake up and start asking
one simple question 'is this teh freebsd i want?', when the
answer come back no they will start to look eslewhere.

> actually see bad blocks your disk is about to die.  IIRC, the code was
> suffering from bitrot and the drives that really needed it will (ESDI
> and MFM mostly) aren't supported in 5.0.

and what of all the people who still use this kind of hardware ?

what are they supposed to do ?

take care