Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 2011 18:56:17 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk" <igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk>, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>, "freebsd-performance@freebsd.org" <freebsd-performance@freebsd.org>, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Subject:   Re: Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

On Dec 22, 2011, at 3:58 PM, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com> wrot=
e:

> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 12:44:14AM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
>> On 12/21/11 19:41, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>=20
>>> while the discussion continued here, some work started at some other pla=
ce. Now... in case someone here is willing to help instead of talking, feel f=
ree to go to http://wiki.freebsd.org/BenchmarkAdvice and have a look what ca=
n be improved. The page is far from perfect and needs some additional people=
 which are willing to improve it.
>>>=20
>>> This is only part of the problem. A tuning page in the wiki - which coul=
d be referenced from the benchmark page - would be great too. Any volunteers=
? A first step would be to take he tuning-man-page and wikify it. Other tuni=
ng sources are welcome too.
>>>=20
>>> Every FreeBSD dev with a wiki account can hand out write access to the w=
iki. The benchmark page gives contributor-access. If someone wants write acc=
ess create a FirstnameLastname account and ask here for contributor-access.
>>>=20
>>> Don't worry if you think your english is not good enough, even some one-=
word notes can help (and _my_ english got already corrected by other people o=
n the benchmark page).
>>>=20
>>> Bye,
>>> Alexander.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Nice to see movement ;-)
>>=20
>> But there seems something unclear:
>>=20
>> man make.conf(5) says, that  MALLOC_PRODUCTION is a knob set in
>> /etc/make.conf.
>> The WiJi says, MALLOC_PRODUCTION is to be set in /etc/src.conf.
>>=20
>> What's right and what's wrong now?
>=20
> I can say with certainty that this value belongs in /etc/make.conf
> (on RELENG_8 and earlier at least).
>=20
> src/share/mk/bsd.own.mk has no framework for MK_MALLOC_PRODUCTION,
> so, this is definitely a make.conf variable.

Take the advice in tuning(7) with a grain of salt because a number of sugges=
tions are really outdated. I know because I filed a PR last night after I sa=
w how out of synch some of the defaults it claimed were with reality on 9.x+=
. And I know other suggestions in the manpage are dated as well ;/.
Thanks,
-Garrett=