Date:      Wed, 1 May 1996 11:17:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Iwan Leonardus <riwanlky@rad.net.id>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, sandi@cs.uct.ac.za
Subject:   Re: PS/2 mouse

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Iwan Leonardus wrote:

> I have a motherboard Tritron which have a mouse port on board

You need to enable the PS/2 mouse driver.

>From the FAQ:

4.7. I have a PS/2 mouse (``keyboard'' mouse) (Alternatively: I have a
laptop with a track-ball mouse). How do I use it?

You'll have to add the following lines to your kernel configuration file
and recompile:

device    psm0    at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr
# Options for psm:
options   PSM_NO_RESET       #don't reset mouse hardware (some laptops)

See configuring the kernel if you've no experience with building kernels.

Once you have a kernel detecting psm0 correctly at boot time, make sure
that an entry for psm0 exists in /dev. You can do this by typing:

        cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV psm0

When logged in as root.

Note: Some PS/2 mouse controllers have a problem where the presence of
the psm0 driver will cause the keyboard to lock up (which is why this
driver is not present by default in the GENERIC kernel). This can
sometimes be fixed by bouncing the NumLock key during the boot process.
Also suggest going into CMOS setup and toggling any value for Numlock
On/Off at boot time. The real fix is, of course, to merge the PS/2 mouse
driver with syscons. Any volunteers? :)