Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 1996 19:26:14 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5 Stable and rpc.lockd

Robin Melville wrote in message ID
<199607091018.LAA15174@charlie.nadt.org.uk>:

> We've now turned our whole site over to FreeBSD and are delighted
> with it.  We use our FreeBSD hosts for NFS, email, in-house database
> applications, and an HTTP "intranet" and development area for our
> external web presence.  Because this is a clinical organisation it's
> important we have good availability, so we have opted to await your
> official releases rather than tracking ongoing work.

> Our question is about 2.1.5 RELEASE versus the imminent(?) 2.2
> RELEASE.

There is nothing imminent about 2.2, apart from that it'll happen
(eventually :-) ). 2.2 is due out about the end of the year.

> We understand from several correspondents that a working version of
> rpc.lockd is under development on the -current branch. Obviously
> this is of importance to us given our NFS requirement.

> Does the -stable release contain the rpc.lockd implementation, or should we
> wait for 2.2?

If you want rpc.lockd (and I'm not sure WHY you want it, nothing you
said above about what you use FreeBSD for, apart from e-mail, really
needs rpc.lockd, and if you are NFS mounting /var/mail, you're also
asking for trouble :-( ) then youy will likely have to wait for
2.2-RELEASE, and even then I can't guarentee that a fully functional
rpc.lockd will be present. Currently, I believe, a stub rpc.lockd is
in the code, which just blindly accepts all lock requests without
actually doing anything about checking to see if it just granted
multiple clients with locks on a single file. It's mainly to quieten
DOS based NFS clients which insist on talking to a lockd server.

Considering that people (in the know) say that Sun never got rpc.lockd
right either, I'd be surprised if we get WORKING NFS locking which
also inter-operates with Sun code properly.

Gary