Date:      Fri, 09 Jul 2004 10:29:14 +0200
From:      Ian FREISLICH <if@hetzner.co.za>
To:        racerx@makeworld.com
Cc:        FreeBSD IPFW <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Blackhole issues when booting into a wm.

> Can someone explain to me why when I add blackhole to my sysctl file, booting
> into a wm is slow as hell? As expected, when I comment out the tcp and udp
> blackhole lines, the system responds as normal.
>
> Some info -
> AMD 1.6
> FBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p9 and FBSD 4.10

The window manager (at least mine does) may be trying to resolve
your machine's IP address.  If you don't have a resolver listening
then with blackhole turned on, your WM won't get any icmp port
unreachable messages back and it will have to wait until the query
times out before continuing.

Maybe it's not trying to resolve, but trying to connect to some
port that doesn't have a listner.  Either way, you can use tcpdump
on your loopback device to figure out what's going on.

If that's too complicated, try adding an entry in /etc/hosts for
your IP address and host name and see if that fixes it.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich