Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 1997 00:16:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   CRC errors with SMC 100MBit?  And vx0 driver.

Using a SMC card in a
2.2-nearly-released-but-cannot-remember-exactly-which-march-revision,

My 3com linkswitch 3k (And the NFS server receiving the data) is reporting
that about 1% or so of the packets coming out of my SMC card to the server
have CRC errors.  Interestingly enough, it appears to only be via NFS
traffic, since FTP's of 1 GB will go fine with no errors at a few MB/sec,
but NFS traffic instantly causes them to appear.

So I was thinking maybe it was UDP traffic, *but* as near as I can tell,
I'm using TCP mounts.  So heck if I know.

It's annoying though.

Any ideas?

Actually, on a whim, I just swapped the SMC card for a 3COM 3c905 100MBit
card, and it does similar type things.

I've tested the cabling with my trusty Fluke LanMeter, and even a null
cable with the cards back-to-back shows the problem, so I don't think
it's my Switch.