Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 1996 12:36:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Kim Culhan <kimc@w8hd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't change -current kernel file

On Sat, 27 Apr 1996, Kim Culhan wrote:

> Trying to install a new kernel I find it is impossible to change the
> name or rm the present kernel file.
>
> I can't cp the new kernel to /, can't rm the present one, can't mv
> the present kernel file, the error returned is:
> Operation not permitted
>
> It is not possible to change the file mode to make it writeable by root.
>
> Any help on this one is greatly appreciated.

The easiest way to install the new kernel (after you build it) is just to
do a 'make install' in the kernel build directory.  If you want to do
this manually, tho, the kernel is protected by file system flags, so go
take a look at the chflags manpage.  Probably your best bet is to take a look
at what the Makefile is doing, actually, when it does an install:

chflags noschg /kernel
mv /kernel /kernel.old
if [ `sysctl -n kern.bootfile` = /kernel ] ; then  sysctl -w
kern.bootfile=/kernel.old ;  mv -f /var/db/kvm_kernel.db
/var/db/kvm_kernel.old.db ;  fi
install -c -m 555 -o root -g wheel -fschg kernel /

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
  Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
  One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
  One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
  One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.