Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 1997 00:57:13 -0700
From:      Leonard <leonardc9@usa.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble reading DAT tape...

I recently had to realign my DAT tape drive's heads in order to fix
problems that it had with reading and writing to tapes.  However, after the
realignment, I can't read any of my old tapes, and right after the drive
was realigned, I had a 4.3 gig HD fail on me.  Now I can't get at *any* of
my backups.  :(

Does anybody know of a way to read DAT tapes that may have the data written
in the wrong position from what the drive is expecting?  To the drive, the
tapes all seem blank.  The drive is an Archive (now Seagate)
Python/Peregrine DDS-2 drive with the 5.23 firmware.  The tapes are all
Sony DDS-2 DAT tapes.  From calls I've made to the drive manufacturer, I'm
told that there's absolutely *no* way to recover from this, but I'm hoping
they're wrong...  Trying to keep some glimmer of hope alive here. :)

Also, if it comes to a last resort, I may need to have a data recovery
center recover the data from the tape.  Can anybody recommend any (because
I'm a student, hopefully good but cheap) companies they've had experience
with?

Thanks for all of your help,

Leonard

--
Leonard Chung <Leonardc9@usa.net>
Support the Blue Ribbon Campaign for free speech online        ()