Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 2014 18:58:51 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>
To:        olli hauer <ohauer@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-apache@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mass cleansing of Apache module POLA violations

On Jun 7, 2014, at 16:07, olli hauer <ohauer@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2014-06-02 19:25, Mark Felder wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>=20
>> Thanks for maintaining Apache and friends.
>>=20
>> I have a request. With my sysadmin hat on, I find maintaining Apache =
on FreeBSD to be the most frustrating Apache experience on the planet. =
Some Apache modules insert LoadModule into your httpd.conf automatically,=
 some insert with it commented out (#LoadModule), and some tell you in =
pkg-message what you need to do to activate the module. The inconsistency=
 here is embarrassing.
>>=20
>> Can we please stop trying to outsmart the sysadmin?
>>=20
>> - I do *NOT* want every installed Apache module automatically =
activated on every server. That's bloat and potential security hole. I =
might not actually need it activated.
>> - I do *NOT* want pkg automatically manipulating my httpd.conf. It =
puts entries in the wrong spot, sometimes under custom comment sections =
where other LoadModules live.
>> - I do *NOT* want pkg and Apache to outsmart me and break my systems.
>> - I *do* want kind, helpful instructions in pkg-message or perhaps =
samples that aren't loaded by default waiting for me in %%ETCDIR%%/module=
s.d/
>>=20
>> As of today you can expect the following:
>>=20
>> Upgrade or reinstall mod_perl. Restart Apache. Your Apache is broken. =
Why, you ask? Because mod_perl installs this:
>>=20
>> #LoadModule perl_module        libexec/apache22/mod_perl.so
>>=20
>> And helpfully *DELETES* my uncommented version of the line upon =
deinstall for upgrade, and re-inserts it commented again!
>>=20
>> There are several other offenders like this; I do not have a complete =
list. But the point is: this behavior makes it impossible to reliably =
administer large numbers of servers. Why should I have to deploy updates =
and then fix my httpd.conf every single time? This is just bizarre =
behavior. A port or package should never automatically modify a productio=
n configuration file. Let the sysadmin handle the insertion or removal =
of configuration.
>>=20
>> If we can come up with a standardized mechanism I will *gladly* =
assist in testing and fixing all ... 101 or so Apache modules so we have =
some sort of consistency here.
>>=20
>=20
> On my road-map is the rewrite of bsd.apache.mk (should be used in =
future only for the www/apache ports) plus an addition for Uses/apache.mk=
.
>=20
> It is planned that modules place a sample '#LoadModule ...' into =
etc/apache2(2|4)/modules.d/ (see modules.d/README_modules.d)
> This way the file can contain instructions how to use the module and =
once the file is modified (module enable) it will stay until the user =
wipes it from the system.
> Since the instructions to include configs from this directory are =
already in the httpd.conf you already start using it for per default =
disabled modules.
>=20
> Since lack of time the work is not finished, apache@ is searching new =
members (only one active member around since a long time, so fresh blood =
is welcome ;)
>=20

This roadmap is perfect; exactly what I was hoping for. I'm not an =
apache fan personally, but must use it at work regardless. If there is a =
rewrite in progress somewhere I would be willing to take a look and test =
or assist as time permits.