Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:45:34 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Thomas E. Zander" <riggs@hadiko.de>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: missing threads dependency in mplayer?

On Monday 26 November 2001 15:24, Thomas E. Zander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Mo , dem 26. Nov 2001, um  1:31 -0500 Uhr schrubte Brian
> T.Schellenberger
>
> zum Thema [missing threads dependency in mplayer?]:
> > When I try to build mplayer, I get this:
> >
> > loader/libloader.a(win32.o): In function `expReadFile':
> > win32.o(.text+0x3c63): undefined reference to `__pthread_read'
> > loader/libloader.a(win32.o): In function `expWriteFile':
> > win32.o(.text+0x3cc4): undefined reference to `__pthread_write'
> > gmake: *** [mplayer] Error 1
> >

> > I thought that maybe my stuff was out of sync, but I cvsup'ed two days
> > ago, build kernel and world yesterday, and portupgraded '*thread*' and
> > other pieces today (I didn't portupgrade everything because based on
> > mail, KDE is having trouble right now).
> >
> > So . . . what am I missing?
>
> It seems you have broken something while upgrading. I have now

That's not the case, as it was broken before I upgraded; I upgraded, in fact,
in the hope that it would fix something., but it didn't.

I'm thinking that the problem might be a question of which threads it's
looking for.  I have linuxthreads installed.  Perhaps it wants zthread or
something?  The only listed dependencies, if I'm reading the makefile
properly, are png and sdl12.  What's odd is that sdl12 *isn't* installed, so
perhaps the dependcies are listed correctly but something's gone squirrly
with the process that actually checks the dependencies?

But that must not be it, 'cause I installed sdl12 but mplayer still fails in
exactly the same way.

Per portupgrade, at least, my linuxthreads is up to date.

> installed world, kernel, a few ports from scratch, and this world:
> FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #0: Mon Nov 26 20:37:10 CET 2001
> builds mplayer without any trouble. It runs fine.
>
> > And should the port dependency checking notice if something that it
> > depends on is there but out of date, anyway?
>
> The port certainly looks for dependencies before building/installing, I
> think it's not a problem caused by the mplayer port, but by your
> userland. I've never seen pthread related problems when building
> mplayer...probably you should try it from a "clean" build of kernel,
> userland and depending ports.

What exactly do you mean by a "clean" build?  I cvsuped both src-all and
ports-all, wiped out obj and did the whole make buildworld / make buildkernel
KERNCONF= / make installworld KERNCONF= / reboot single-user / make
installworld / mergemaster thing, and I've used portupgrade to upgrade all
the ports that I can *tell* mplayer depends on (but maybe I'm using the wrong
approach to discovering what it depends on), and still it fails.

Is there something more I should be doing to get a clean build?  I do have
another partition, and I'd suggest that I could install FreeBSD over there,
but when I've tried it before it has *not* worked well to have two different
FreeBSD installations on the same disk.  The bootloader gets confused.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

-------> Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  (let him go home)  <-----------