Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:41:55 +0200
From:      Oliver Schonefeld <oschonef@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gericom Notebook: boot-problems -> apm-related

Hello *!

I recently tried to install FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE on a Gericom Overdose II
notebook.
At first the kernel would just hang after (while?) doning the clock
calibration. No Panic ... the machine just hangs and only a hard-reset will
bring it back to life.
Well, after disabling the Power Managment Functions in the Bios Setup the
kernel would boot just fine. Strangly it also detects an apm0 device and
also apm seems to work. at least the machine shows battery staticstics and
is able to suspend and resume.

OpenBSD and Linux have no problem with Gericoms apm bios, therefore
something must be different in FreeBSD which makes the kernel crash. I think
it's kind of a show stopper for FreeBSD, when people decide to instal it on
their Gericom machines. It would be great, if this bug could somehow be
fixed.

For additional Information or whatever is needen, please contact me.

Regards,
Oliver
And remember: "To Infinity And Far Beyond ... Somehow?!"

email: oschonef@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
       olli@psychopathen.org