Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 17:17:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wow! Linux emulation in 3.0 is fantastic!

On 22-Oct-98 Ted Faber wrote:

> Conrad Sabatier wrote:
>>Only problem I ran into was trying to get the Real Video Player plugin
>>working with the FreeBSD version of Netscape Communicator 4.07, so I
>>decided to try the Linux version of Communicator 4.5 (I also wanted to get
>>the 128-bit encryption).  Worked on the first try.
>
> Is there something wrong with the FreeBSD native version of Netscape
> 4.5?

No, I've been using the FreeBSD version up until now.  But once I got the Linux
RealPlayer working (at last!), I still was unable to get the Real Player plugin
configured in Netscape.  Switching to the Linux version of Netscape solved that.

The Linux version also has the advantage of being among the "supported", rather
than "unsupported" versions of Netscape, and supports strong encryption, which
is a definite must-have for me, as I'm about to switch my online banking from
Quicken/Checkfree to the services offered by my bank (BankOne).  No more having
to boot into Windows to pay my bills.  Yay!  :-)

Also, there are other plugins for Linux that simply aren't available for
FreeBSD.

--
Conrad Sabatier