Date:      Sat, 05 Jan 2019 22:12:49 -0800
From:      Dennis Glatting <freebsd@pki2.com>
To:        Bob Healey <healer@rpi.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 12-RELEASE + Storage woes

On Sat, 2019-01-05 at 20:39 -0500, Bob Healey wrote:
> I've been updating my 11.2 systems to 12 via freebsd-update.  It has
> not
> been a smooth process at all.  The virtual machines I did before the
> start of the new year had no issues.  I posted the other day about
> issues with a C2000 Atom and the BTX loader hanging.
>
> Today I've run into 2 different problems.  The first is a host that
> hard
> resets with a hypertransport error and bad dimm when something tries
> write to drives connected to the onboard SATA controller.  The second
> is
> when updating ports on a different system between the two post reboot
> freebsd-update installs, fetch is broken due to SSL problems.
>
> I was able to work past that via pkg-static list > pkg.lst && pkg-
> static
> delete -f \*, doing the second install, and reinstalling all packages
> from scratch, but it was very frustrating and annoying to have to
> work
> through.  12.0 really feels like a late stage beta or release
> candidate
> with all the incompatibilities and work arounds required.
>
> Is anyone else having similar issues, or have I just been
> extraordinarily unlucky?

I had ZFS problems with Beta, solved by reverting back to 11.2 (I
pretested in a virtual instance without ZFS and without trouble). I am
presently running 12.0 in one virtual instance and on one consumer-grade
bare metal, which has a known memory problem. 12.0 is working in those
two cases.

Bare metal:

FreeBSD 12.0-STABLE r342776 GENERIC amd64
FreeBSD clang version 6.0.1 (tags/RELEASE_601/final 335540) (based on
LVM 6.0.1)
VT(vga): resolution 640x480
CPU: AMD FX(tm)-9590 Eight-Core Processor            (4721.76-MHz K8-
class CPU)
  Origin="AuthenticAMD"  Id=0x600f20  Family=0x15  Model=0x2  Stepping=0
  Features=0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,P
GE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT>
  Features2=0x3e98320b<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,MON,SSSE3,FMA,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,P
OPCNT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C>
  AMD Features=0x2e500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD
Features2=0x1ebbfff<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,ABM,SSE4A,MAS,Prefetch,OSVW
,IBS,XOP,SKINIT,WDT,LWP,FMA4,TCE,NodeId,TBM,Topology,PCXC,PNXC>
  Structured Extended Features=0x8<BMI1>
  SVM: NP,NRIP,VClean,AFlush,DAssist,NAsids=65536
  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
real memory  = 34359738368 (32768 MB)
avail memory = 33319538688 (31775 MB)
Event timer "LAPIC" quality 600
ACPI APIC Table: <ALASKA A M I>
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 8 CPUs
FreeBSD/SMP: 1 package(s) x 8 core(s)