Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:25:30 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        "C. Peter Constantinidis" <peter-c@home.com>, stable@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Video refresh rates and video modes in vga0, vidcontrol

>> The discovery: Reading the man pages for vga, vidcontrol I see there is no
>> way to change the refresh rate.  I also looked through the ports tree. No

No, there is no provision in the current version of the vga driver
and vidcontrol to change the refresh rate.

>> luck. I was told about an utility for Linux that does it, called
>> SVGATextMode that increases the refresh rate, improves the look of the
>> fonts, etc. and it seems rather nice though I have never run it.  I can't
>> compile it under FBSD, I don't know how.  The current version is 1.9 and
>> seems mature.

Anyway, I will have a look at its source code.

But, I suspect that SVGATextMode uses various information and
techniques which is specific to video chip sets.

>> Question: Is it hard to add refresh rate control to FBSD's vidcontrol or
>> vga  device? Or at least tweak the linux program so it works?
>>
>> Best,
>> Peter.
>
>I'd be interested in this too. That screen flickering gives me terrible
>headaches.

If the video card BIOS supports VESA BIOS Extension (VBE) v3.0, it is
possible to set up the refresh rate in a clean and portable manner,
The vesa module in FreeBSD currently supports VBE v2.0 (or less).  We
can update the module to support VBE v3.0 so that we can allow the
user to set the refresh rate, if the video card is VBE v3.0
compliant...

Kazu