Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2013 07:25:41 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Jilles Tjoelker <jilles@stack.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: multi-instance and self-contained rc.d script

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013, Jilles Tjoelker wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 06:29:53AM +0900, Hiroki Sato wrote:
>>    b) Make rc.d/foo always have rc.d/foo(8) manual page.
>
> However, I don't like another set of manual pages.

They could be autogenerated by reading comments and variable values
in the rc.d scripts.  Of course the rc.d scripts would have to contain
that information.  At least it would be in the same file, helping to
keep the doc in sync with the script.  This is not to suggest a full man
page in the script, just a short text summary along with variables that
may be used.

'/etc/rc.d/routed manpage' would return the generated mdoc code.
'/etc/rc.d/routed help' could pipe that output to man.

What filenames or section would be used for the generated man pages?
routed(8) already exists, and "rc.d/routed.8" has problems both as a
filename and an argument to man(1).