Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 00:25:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Gilad Rom <lickyou@ein-hashofet.co.il>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, steve@visint.co.uk, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps segfaults since I overclocked. and worries.

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Kevin Day wrote:

> > > I'll shut up now, but if FreeBSD isn't going to be supporting hardware
> > > that will be becoming standard soon then I'm slightly worried, I'd have
> > > thought current- was the testing ground for stuff such as this
> >
> > Certainly, though clocking pre-standard hardware up to the standard
> > and testing that would only constitute poor testing methodology.
> > Before becoming even slightly worried, I'd first want to see test
> > failures on hardware where all components are rated for the conditions
> > of the test.  Considering the number of manufacturers involved just in
> > getting all the components on a motherboard to work properly together
> > at some target clock speed, it's often surprising to consider that the
> > whole mess works at all.
> >
> > 					Jordan
>
> If perhaps the sumbitter doesn't understand the error of overclocking:
>
> You just purchased a 1979 Ford Pinto station wagon. However, you are upset
> after driving it for a while that it won't go above 65 MPH. Feeling smart,
> you go and purchase soe rocket fuel. You pour it in your gas tank, and all
> seems well until hit a steep hill, at which time the engine explodes.
>
> This is not the fault of: Ford, the card dealer where you bought the car, or
> the hill itself.
>
> Likewise, Overclocking your processor and having things fail is not the
> fault of: Intel, your board manufacturer, or FreeBSD.
>

> Kevin

Well, to the best of my knowledge, the p166 and p200 were almost
identical except the fact that intel test these prior to shipment, to make
sure what processor can achieve what clock speed without burning.
I think overclocking is a 99% fail-proof way to achieve better performance
from your CPU(To a limited extent, ofcourse) without paying more money
for something which is about the same. The comparison to an old car being
raced is not applicable here, as processors at that level are Identical.
Please correct me if Im wrong, Thanks :)

Gilad.