Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 08:05:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net (Jaye Mathisen)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc.sysctl?

> Can anybody think of a good reason not to have something like
> /etc/rc.sysctl that contains any sysctl -w's that you want to have run
> before you start up a bunch of daemons?
>
> There doesn't seem to be any good place to put them.
>
> rc.local is too late, since things like keepalive, send/recvspace, and
> others may need to be set before things like sendmail start up.
>
> Seems trivial to add, and potentially useful.
>
> (Of course, run levels ala solaris would solve this problem as well, but
> that's another argument for another time and place).

Heh.  And you are proposing a mechanism which is tantamount to /etc/conf
on Solaris, only you can't drop in new configuration code by dropping
in a new file, you have to instead modify a file that contains both
instructions and the configuration data that they operate on.

Sounds a hell of a lot like the BSD rc file vs. rc.d argument to
me.  ;-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---