Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 11:30:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        muir@idiom.com (David Muir Sharnoff)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Re: An ISP's Wishlist...

> * >From my discussions with other folks, it seems like there may be problems
> * with particular combinations of BB's and MB's.  What we did discover is that
> * it is trivial to detect the condition and that the card can be reset by
> * detaching all processes from it (i.e. flipping all the ttys entries to "off"
> * and then back "on").  The problem occurs with very low frequency and I
> * haven't had a chance to test anything more sophisticated, last discovery was
> * made about two weeks ago  ;-)
> *
> * I'm not sure that the problem I'm seeing is the same problem others are
> * seeing, however.
>
> I don't know.  I never tried turning off all my ports when they
> locked up.  I'm not going to -- I'm an ISP and I would like to
> be thought of as a reliable one.  Hanging up on all my users every
> other day is not going to promote that image.

What's the alternative?  Resetting the box?  Seems to me that my solution is
a little more preferable!  You only hit the 16 ports you are having a
problem with.  The reality is, you'd PREFER to hang up on your customers
rather than maintain 16 dead ports.

> That isn't really a very good fix.  I'll keep that BB2016 on the
> shelf until there is a driver-level fix available.

Working on it.  :-)  It's hard to characterize a problem when the problem is
so infrequent.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968