Date:      Sun, 04 May 2003 10:01:53 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Derrick Ryalls <ryallsd@datasphereweb.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DSL Stability

Derrick Ryalls wrote:
> I managed to get DSL working with FreeBSD somewhat, but I am having some
> weird connectivity issues.
> At random times, I will lose network connectivity.  The Westell modem
> says there is full connection
> via ethernet and phone, but I am unable to ping their gateway and
> dhclient is unable to obtain a new
> lease.
>
> The strange part is that if I plug my WinXP box into the modem directly,
> I obtain an ip and can surf.
> If I then plug the BSD box back into the modem, I can once again obtain
> leases and talk to the 'net,
> but about half the time I need to restart natd for the inside network to
> be able to do anything.
>
> System/ISP info:
>
> 4.7-RELEASE-p5
> rc.conf
> ifconfig_sis0="DHCP"
> default_gateway="4.xx.xxx.1"
> natd_program="/sbin/natd"
> natd_enable="YES"
> natd_interface="sis0"
> natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"

You didn't supply your /etc/natd.conf.  Are you passing the -dynamic flag
to natd?  It seems most broadband providers these days are intentionally
changing your IP addy every time you renew.  natd needs to know this.
At least, that's my best guess: based on the info you provide.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies