Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 16:40:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DELETING WINDOWS 95, Please Help

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > No, I have 64mb ;-)  And no I'm not gonna try to get 32 more.
>
> 64 MB will do.

Sometimes I wonder, perhaps it's just my window manager eating up ram.

> > I like it because it's graphical and somewhat less awkward than emacs
> > (for me).
>
> I hate it because it's graphical and much more awkward than Emacs (for
> me :-)

Emacs is great, and I love it for source code highliting, but I like a GUI
or support for more formatted text when doing word processing.

> > If I had my way, I'd like to see a [free] version of WP 5.1 (for
> > DOS) ported over to some *nix with long file name and perhaps lpr
> > and ghostscript support.  Rumor has it that was written in
> > assembly. ;-)
>
> I can't believe that.  I used to write a lot in assembler in the old
> days, but I don't know anybody who's written anything significant in
> assembler on an -86 platform.

Either way, WP 5.1 was one of the best written programs I've ever used.
It was blazingly fast (on a 486 none the less), so I wouldn't doubt that a
lot of it was written in assembly.  It even came with a little task
swapper thing, that while not as powerful as DeskView, it certianly worked
nicely and came with a nice bunch of integrated apps (calendar, mini
database, spreadsheet, etc..). Those Mormons sure knew how to code DOS
apps back then ;-)

- alex