Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 17:08:38 -0600
From:      Joe.Warner@smed.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tape Device not recognized/not configured

Hi,

  In an effort to start backing up my file systems, I've installed an
Adaptec 2944 Ultra SCSI adapter and an Exabyte EXB-8505DT (8mm/5gb) tape
drive.  I've compiled support for the SCSI adapter into my kernel and after
rebooting, my system recognized it but for some reason, I can't access the
tape drive.  If I try to format a tape or create and send a tar archive to
it, I just get the message "device not configured".  The information in my
books and The FreeBSD Handbook indicated that all SCSI controllers use the
same set of /dev entries, so you don't need to create them.  I've tried
accessing my tape drive via the device listings /dev/nrsa0 and /dev/rsa0
and nothing works.  Am I trying to use the wrong device?  Is there
something else I need to compile into my kernel?  Any help or information
on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe