Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 1996 07:59:51 -0800
From:      "Ulf Zimmermann" <ulf@z-code.ncd.com>
To:        gjennejohn@frt.dec.com, Bertus Pretorius <bertus%mikom.csir.co.za@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com>
Cc:        questions%freebsd.org@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com
Subject:   Re: ISDN devices supported?

On Feb 8, 12:06, garyj@frt.dec.com wrote:
> Subject: Re: ISDN devices supported?
>
> bertus@mikom.csir.co.za writes:
> > Hi,
> >     I had a look in the code to see which ISDN devices are supported.
> > I must, to my disgust, admit that I failed.  Please could anybody please
> > inform my of the ISDN devices supported by FreeBSD and if possible the
> > supplier as well.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> If you want to stick a card into your box then the only cards which are
> currently supported are ISA cards from Dr. Neuhaus (the so calles Niccy
> cards) or Teles/Creatix in Germany.
>
> You can hook up a TA (aka. ISDN modem) such as the ZyXel 1486DI (?)
> or one from Motorola. Since these hook to the serial port you can handle
> them just like an external modem. Jordan Hubbard is using a setup
> like this with great success.
>
> A TA is the most flexible solution since the German cards are designed
> for EuroISDN (the European ISDN standard) and there's no guarantee that
> they'll work correctly outside of Europe.
>-- End of excerpt from garyj@frt.dec.com

This is not quite right anymore. The so called EuroISDN is now DSS-1, which is
also used by many countries outside europe. I think Japan is one of them. Also
is the hardware of the most cards sold in europe, very generic and there should
be no problem to use them everywhere (where ISDN exists), it is a matter of the
driver software. One example is a SGI Indy which has a built in ISDN interface,
based on the same chip used in europe. The SGI Indy has support for >5
different ISDN protocols. The same you get for better PC ISDN cards.

Ulf.

--
Ulf Zimmermann, NCD Software, 101 Rowland Way, Suite 300, Novato, CA 94945
phone: 415-899-7941, email: ulf@z-code.ncd.com, phone-home: 510-865-0204