Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 2014 19:22:05 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@getmail.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.2 Boot Problem

On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 23:53:10 -0700
Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:

>=20
> On 4 April 2014, at 21:08, Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:
>=20
> > I put this out on Questions, but got no responses. Hopefully someone =
here has some ideas.
> >=20
> > FreeBSD 9.2.  All of my systems are hanging during boot right after t=
he screen that has the picture.  Its as if someone hit a space on the key=
board.  However, these systems have no keyboard.  If I plug one in, or us=
e the serial console, and enter a return, the boot continues properly.
> >=20
> > The boot menu is displayed along with Beastie.  However, the line tha=
t says Autoboot in n seconds=E2=80=A6 never appears.  It just stops there=
.  These are all new installs from CD systems.  I just used freebsd-updat=
e to take a toy server from 9.1 to 9.2 and it doesn't exhibit this behavi=
or.  It boots properly.  I have updated one of the production servers wit=
h the latest 9.2 changes and it still has the issue.  I first thought tha=
t some config file did not get updated properly on the CD.  I have dug ar=
ound through the 4th files and don't see anything obvious that would caus=
e this.  I have now verified that all the 4th files in boot are identical=
 (except for the version number.  They are slightly different).  I don't =
believe this is a BIOS setting issue as FreeBSD 7.2 didn't exhibit this b=
ehavior.  All 4 systems are on totally different motherboards.
> >=20
> > I tried setting loader_logo=3D"none" in /boot/config.rc and that elim=
inated the menu and Beastie.  I think the system completed booting, but t=
he serial console was then dead.  It did not respond or output anything. =
 I had to remove that and reboot to get the console back again.
> >=20
> > I need to get this fixed as these are production servers that are ess=
entially unmanned so its difficult to get them back up again. =20
>=20
>=20
> No response here either.  Surely someone must know the loader.  I have =
been digging through the code, and can't find any differences between the=
 systems that work and those that don't.=20
> Is there any way to debug this?  Is there a way to find out where the l=
oader is sitting waiting on input from the terminal.  That might give a c=
lue as to why it didn't autoboot.

Unfortunately, your initial post to this mailing list lacks critical info=
rmation, such as what hardware you use (x86? amd64? sparc? arm?), if the =
"toy server" you used as a test case is the same hardware as the ones hav=
ing the problem. You also don't say how long you have waited for the serv=
ers to finish booting - sometimes, it can take a long time.
You say FreeBSD 9.2, but is it 9.2-release or 9.2-stable? Details matter.
Some more thoughts: have you tried disabling the keyboard in BIOS / UEFI =
(if tht is possible)? Does it change anything?

--=20
Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@getmail.no>