Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 2021 09:36:10 +0100
From:      Luciano Mannucci <luciano@vespaperitivo.it>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how many users of FreeBSD 12 do we have on powerpc?

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 22:39:21 +0000
Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com> wrote:

> (Also, I personally believe that it is fair to say "we do not really
> support powerpc* on 10.X or 11.Y.  Please upgrade.")
>
> How many people will these changes effect?  It's time to speak up ...
Well, I have just finished migrating my first PPC64 FreeBSD production
servers from 11.3-RELEASE to 12.2-RELEASE. Seems that it is working.
It has been easier than expected, though non really straigh forward:
I had to recompile everything (11.X did'nt have precompiled pkgs) and
did'nt notice that per was moved from 5.30 to 5.32, so I had to do it
twice. I have another couple of production machines that I will migrate
very soon, though these will be reinstalled and reloaded with data
from the previous version.

On Mac 32 bit front, mine runs 9.2 since I don't dare to do anything
major on it for the hardware is not really pristine :), since it
is a 1998 powerbook.

Thanks for the magnificient work you have done3 up to now,

Luciano.
--
 /"\                         /Via A. Salaino, 7 - 20144 Milano (Italy)
 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN / PHONE : +39 02485781 FAX: +39 0248028247