Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:19:38 -0500
From:      Wayne Cuddy <wcuddy@crb-web.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pcic drivers on NEC Ready 340T laptop

I have installed FreeBSD 4.3 on my NEC Ready 340T laptop.  There were no
problems except for pcmcia/pcic detection.  There are 2 sockets in the system,
if I boot with a card in the top socket the system freezes during the pcic
detection phase, the system will also freeze if I insert a card into that
socket after the OS has loaded.  The system does not lock in either case if
a card is inserted into the bottom socket.

It doesn't seem to make a difference whether the card is my 'ne' compatible
network card or my 56K modem.

Incidentally I also have loaded NetBSD 1.5.2 on this laptop, it had similar
problems until I used the GENERIC.laptop kernel which solved the problem on
initial boot but will freeze when the OS performs a warm reboot.  In the dmesg
boot output from NetBSD the kernel notices that both pcic do not have valid
IO regions assigned to them by the BIOS and it performs a "address fix up"
using the PCIBIOS.  Could this be the problem with FreeBSD and if so are there
options I can declare to get both sockets running smoother?

Irritatingly enough, Linux 2.2.x/pcmcia has no problems dealing with this and
I would rather run any *BSD than Linux..

I appreciate any suggestions.

Wayne