Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2002 23:08:08 -0400
From:      Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 15:43:58 -0700 (PDT)
"Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com> wrote:

> > > My uncle, who is names on the patent for microwave ovens, still
> > > to this day refuses to have one in his house... your point is?
> >
> > That it's fairly odd to quote a Franciscan Friar in favor of
> > atheism, albeit one that rejected the utility of Medieval scholastic
> > proofs in favor of revelation.
>
> It's because if you supply your own definition of "simple", Occam's
> razor can be used to prove anything.

No, it cannot be used to prove *anything*; only that which may be
reduced to definitions and terms consistent with simplicity and
complexity, with the former affirmed and the latter rejected. That
having been said, it was a fairly strong early argument against medieval
scholasticism. (The only answer the Catholic church seemed to have for
it and other arguments against scholasticism was to declare Thomism
sacrosanct; until Vatican II partially reversed this position.)