Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:13:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Paul Coyne <pac@geodesic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cached versus non cached disk I/O

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Paul Coyne wrote:

> Perhaps not really a STABLE question, sorry - but the expertise level is
> good here.
>
> Can anyone point me to where I might find information if and when disk
> I/O can/will be cached by FreeBSD, e.g.:
>
> Is a mkdir cached?

  mkdir() updates metadata.  All metadata updates are written to disk
before returning, whether on a local or NFS filesystem.

  NFS can be put into async mode, so the server will ack all requests
(metadata updates, as well as file writes) as soon as they are received
(sysctl -w vfs.nfs.async=1).

  The filesystem can be put into async (or softupdates) mode so that
local metadata update functions return before the metadata is actualy
written to disk.

Tom
Uniserve