Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 12:33:07 -0400
From:      Jud Fink <Jud@operamail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Make Wrld & Krnl Reconfig OK, Now Boot Hangs & Can't Find Slice

Cvsup'd to latest 4-STABLE, MAKE WORLD & mergemaster went fine (thanks to Ken
for tip), reconfigged, built & installed kernel per procedure after upgrade.

Tried to reboot - boot hangs at line showing sio4 as serial port for my modem.
 Prior to installing new kernel, sio1 was modem port, and I did *not* change
that setting in the new kernel.  This has happened before when reconfigging
kernel (though no hang) - that is, if modem was at sio1 before kernel
reconfig, and I install new kernel with modem at sio1, it shows as sio4 on 1st
reboot with new kernel; this works in reverse as well (modem on sio4, reconfig
with new kernel showing modem on sio4, reboot shows as sio1).  I have to
change to modem port in kernel *without* reinstalling to get modem support
back.

I want to edit my new kernel to change sio1 to sio4.  Tried booting from
floppy to disk 1, ad0s2, which is my larger FreeBSD partition (shares 20gb HD
with Windows).  Instead, system booted to disk 2, ad1s1, which is my smaller
FreeBSD partition (by itself on 2gb HD).  When I try to mount ad0s2 from
ad1s1, it mounts itself (not trying to be Freudian here)!

1. How do I get to my larger FreeBSD partition to edit kernel?

2. Should this cure the hang on reboot, or are there other
suggestions/possibilities for what could be causing this?

Jud