Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 1997 09:31:56 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        shaun@emma.eng.uct.ac.za (Shaun Courtney)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world error in gdb with 2.2-GAMMA source

As Shaun Courtney wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade my 2.2-BETA to 2.2-GAMMA, so I grabed the source
> for 2.2-GAMMA and did a make world. It fell over when doing a make of gdb.

For all the people with gdb problems:

gdb has undergone a major source tree restructuring, first in
-current, and following in RELENG_2_2.  Most of the code has been
moved out to /usr/src/contrib/gdb.

If you have build problems with it, please do the following:

	rm -rf /usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gdb

	If you can:
	  rm -rf /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gdb
	and reinstall from pristine source (e.g. CVS or CVSup).

	cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gdb
	make obj depend all

I can assure you all that Jordan's and my builds in the RELENG_2_2
tree (which we are doing on a fairly regular basis, and which imply
more than a `make world') *don't* fall over, so it must indeed be some
stale old file or .depend or whatnot in your tree that breaks it.

--
cheers, J"org