Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 20:01:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jas@flyingfox.com (Jim Shankland)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Custom init(8) (and some ideas)

> On a related note, I did not understand the distinction between
> mmap-ing the text section and "execute-in-place."  If someone could
> expand briefly, I'd appreciate it.

In the first case, there is a backing object, so the pages can be
discarded and recovered later to make room for dirty pages.

In the second case, the backing object is compressed, and the pages
are generated from decompressing the *entire* backing object, and
appear as dirty pages (which can not be discarded, and some of
which are never used).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---