Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 11:12:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Aleksey Zvyagin <zal@rest.ru>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Upgrade 2.2.5-RELEASE to 2.2-STABLE.

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Help me, please anyone.
> > I used the cvsup utility for a upgrade from 2.2.5-RELEASE to 2.2-STABLE
> > (only the 'src-sys' capability)
>
> Sigh..  This has been talked about for at least the last week in the
> -stable.
>
> Perhaps it's time to make subscription to the list *mandatory* before
> someone is allowed to cvsup the -stable bits?  We're just going to get
> FAQ'd to death in the future if we don't do something like this, I'm
> really worried about that.
>
> P.S.  As has been covered in *great* detail this last week, and as is
> also available via the mailing list archives, edit /dev/wd0a to be the
> fully-slice-qualified name, like the other entries.  e.g. /dev/wd0s1a.
>
> 					Jordan

This is a recurring problem.  In an earlier version of -stable there
was the login.conf problem and also at some time the need to add
something to /etc/group.

Obviously it doesn't work to respond to questions in freebsd-questions
(people don't read it until they run into trouble) or the newsgroup.
And not everyone subscribes to -stable.  What you need is a README file
that arrives with the sources and ends up in /usr/src and has the latest
info on what has to be done that the make world won't do.

	Annelise