Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:41:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Troubles with Mammoth2 if there is a tape error

> If I use error-free tape, tests pass:
>
> --
> # time dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nrsa0 bs=32k
> dd: /dev/nrsa0: No space left on device
> 1856046+0 records in
> 1856045+0 records out
> 60818882560 bytes transferred in 4814.912483 secs (12631358 bytes/sec)
>
> real 83m3.857s
> user 0m2.228s
> sys 1m44.261s
> --
>
> Until now, we have had Mammoth II with firmware v02p or lower.
> If I use bad tape with this firmware, there is still no problem:
> dd ends with I/O error and in syslog I can find:
>
> --
> WRITE(06). CDB: a 0 0 80 0 0
> MEDIUM ERROR csi:0,0,0,6 asc:9,0
> Track following error
> WRITE FILEMARKS. CDB: 10 0 0 0 2 0
> MEDIUM ERROR csi:0,0,0,6 asc:9,0
> Track following error
> failed to write terminating filemark(s)
> tape is now frozen- use an OFFLINE, REWIND or MTEOM command to clear this state
> --

That's correct. If a WFM fails, the driver has no clue where in the
tape you are.

> But by now, we are trying a new firmware v02r and if I try a bad
> tape, dd locks in "D" ps-state and tons of messages are generated
> in /var/log/messages:
>
> --
> WRITE(06). CDB: a 0 0 80 0 0
> Deferred Error: MEDIUM ERROR asc:9,0
> Track following error

Ditto.

> I can only reboot server.

Somehow I doubt this. Did you try interupting dd? Is dd getting
an error propagated back? I would presume it would be, unless you're
doing something interesting like selecting a 20 megabyte size,
which will be (silently) split at a 64k sizes.

Are you using the drive in fixed length mode? Error handling
might be broken there. Please advise.

> I tested Mammoth2 with a new firmware v02r and with a bad tape on
> Novell NetWare and on Solaris too. I have to say that these
> systems have not any problems. Both stop writing process and
> write reasonable error message.

I can't speak for Novell, but I wrote the Solaris tape driver, and
I would prefer to use the FreeBSD driver myself.

> Do you have any idea, what to do? I'm not SCSI guru and do not
> understand meaning of "deferred error".

It has nothing to do with anything here except that the drive
is saying that the error is for an event that ocurred in the
past (not for this command but a previous one).

-matt