Date:      Sun, 07 Mar 2010 09:59:07 -0800
From:      David Ehrmann <ehrmann@gmail.com>
To:        Norikatsu Shigemura <nork@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Subject:   Re: Core i5 AES acceleration

On 3/7/10 1:44 AM, Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:
> Hi Devid and Julian.
>
> On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 22:10:28 -0800
> Julian Elischer<julian@elischer.org>  wrote:
>
>> David Ehrmann wrote:
>>
>>> Does FreeBSD currently support cryptographic acceleration for AES on the
>>> Core i5 CPU?  I searched, but couldn't find anything, and the crypto(4)
>>> manpage only lists these divers in "see also:"
>>>
>> no, but if you write a driver for it we will... :-)
>> (most things in open source happen because someone needs it.)
>>
> 	I found Linux's code: http://lwn.net/Articles/311094/
> 	I think that it looks too easy, maybe, we should implement aesni(4)
> 	like padlock(4).

I was thinking that if I did do it, I'd start with padlock as a base.
It looks like there are maybe 6 new opcodes.  Maybe we could ask the
contributor of the Linux code (an Intel employee) if he'd be willing to
also release the code under a BSD license.

My problem is that I don't have a Core i5 system--I was asking because
it's an option for my new system--and I'm far from an x86 assembly expert.