Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:14:55 -0500
From:      Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org>
To:        Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] <Danovitsch@vitsch.net>
Cc:        Kip Macy <kip.macy@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panic at boot on any 6.x OS

On Feb 25, 2007, at 5:46 AM, Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] wrote:

> On Sunday 25 February 2007 08:59, Kip Macy wrote:
>> It looks as if you've hit a device driver that is trying to print out
>> a null string. The message you've given doesn't provide any more
>> information than that. If you install a snapshot kernel it will
>> probably have ddb compiled in which will allow you to at least get a
>> backtrace. I'm sorry you're having trouble.
>
> Grepping the source tree on 6.2-RELEASE shows this message can only
> have com
> from one place : sys/kern/kern_conf.c in the function prep_cdevsw() :
>
> if (devsw->d_version != D_VERSION_01) {
>     printf(
>                     "WARNING: Device driver \"%s\" has wrong
> version %s\n",
>                     devsw->d_name == NULL ? "???" : devsw->d_name,
>                     "and is disabled.  Recompile KLD module.");
>
> Looks like the kernel and the modules are out of sync.

Any idea how this could have happened after disabling everything in
my /etc/loader.conf, and simply running a:

make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=myconfig
make installkernel KERNCONF=myconfig

Shouldn't this have installed a fresh kernel plus only essential
modules?

Here is a diff of my kernel config (which I've called, rather
uncreatively, 6.x) against GENERIC:

nothing unusual, just IPFIREWALL and Linux compat stuff, right?

# diff 6.x GENERIC
19c19
< # $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.429.2.7.2.2 2006/05/01
00:15:12 scottl Exp $
- ---
 > # $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.429.2.13 2006/10/09
18:41:36 simon Exp $
30,42c30
< options         IPFIREWALL
< options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
< options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=10
< options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
< options         IPDIVERT
< #options         VFS_AIO
< #options         HZ=1200
< #options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor
Kernel
< #device          pf
< #device          pflog
< #device          pfsync
< options         COMPAT_LINUX
< options         BRIDGE
- ---
 > makeoptions   DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1)
debug symbols
44,49d31
< # Enable the linux-like proc filesystem support (requires
COMPAT_LINUX and PSEUDOFS)
< options         LINPROCFS
<
< #makeoptions  DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1)
debug symbols
<
< #options      SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
77,80d58
< options       AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in
debug
<                                       # output.  Adds ~128k to driver.
< options       AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in
debug
<                                       # output.  Adds ~215k to driver.
103a82,83
 > options       AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields
in debug
 >                                       # output.  Adds ~128k to
driver.
104a85,86
 > options       AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields
in debug
 >                                       # output.  Adds ~215k to
driver.
226a209
 > device                stge            # Sundance/Tamarack TC9021
gigabit Ethernet
248a232,234
 > device                wlan_wep        # 802.11 WEP support
 > device                wlan_ccmp       # 802.11 CCMP support
 > device                wlan_tkip       # 802.11 TKIP support
249a236,238
 > device                ath             # Atheros pci/cardbus NIC's
 > device                ath_hal         # Atheros HAL (Hardware
Access Layer)
 > device                ath_rate_sample # SampleRate tx rate control
for ath