Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:06:22 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        "Ziller, James" <James.Ziller@qg.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dependency hell

In the last episode (Apr 19), Ziller, James said:
> So in other words I do have to recompile everything that depends on a
> given library just because that library is updated to a slightly
> newer version? :(

If you want those dependant programs to use the new library, yes.  It's
not required though.  When you upgrade a port, portupgrade sticks its
old shared libraries in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg so old binaries still
run.  It's up to you to manually clean it out occasionally (I just
checked and mine is 400MB, with files going back to 1999 :)

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com