Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 10:49:00 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] Spam from Windriver - how should I react?

Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com> types:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> Well, this is where I feel the whole thing was unprofessional. If
> they're so confused about ordering that they don't even know who's got
> an outstanding order and who doesn't, that's VERY unprofessional
> management.

That exact situation happened with the 4.2 shipment. They didn't know
who had gotten the subscription, and who didn't, and just waited for
people to call them and ask. Personally, I prefer getting the email -
even if it is longer than I would have liked. I agree, that's a
*really* bad situation - but it happened prior to the acquisition, so
it may have happened after the acquisition as well.

> So perhaps the lack of professionalism started in the record keeping
> area, and it became visible in this email. Personally, I don't think it
> was a good business move, but (as I've already mentioned) I think the
> intention was far better than most companies.
> Had it been my decision, 2 things would have been different.
> 1) It would have been a much shorter and to the point.
> 2) It would have come from FreeBSDMall, not Wind River.

Well, shorter and more to the point is always better. As for the
second one, that's right as well providing Wind River isn't planning
on re-arranging names in some way. I can't think of any such name
change I'd consider a good idea, but I don't get to make their
decisions.

	<mike