Date:      Wed, 01 Mar 2000 12:57:19 +0900
From:      Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
To:        dv@dv.ru
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: is inet6 preffered when resolving names?

> Hi!
>
> Is it right behavior to try IPv6 address first?
>
> work# telnet localhost
> Trying ::1...
> telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.

<SNIP>

> Only solution for it is to comment out in /etc/hosts:
>
> ::1                    localhost localhost.my.domain myname.my.domain
>
> I've tried to switch 127.0.0.1 and ::1 is /etc/hosts but there was no effect.

Now the order of the searching address family is statically
defined in libc. So if the target has AAAA recored, then it is
tried first.

Currently, another workaround is, using '-4' option.
  telnet -4 localhost

And what is your desired behaviour?
If your desire is that always IPv4 address is tried first,
then we can add some swith to change the order.
(But it will be after 4.0.)

Thanks,
Yoshinobu Inoue