Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 16:08:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joey Garcia <bsd_usr@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Overclocking AMD K6-'s and FreeBSD

Hello!

So out of the blue, I decided that I'll give
overclocking a try.  Why?  I don't know.  Just
because.

I know that Overclocking can kill a CPU because it can
run hotter, but I'm sure with the proper precautions
and some conservatism I can overclock my CPU safely.

I'm wondering if any of you has had experience with
overclocking and AMD K6-2 400 safely.  I'm also
interested to know about the stability of overclocked
K6-2's with FreeBSD.  I heard that overclocked CPU's
become less stable.

I have a FIC PA-2013 motherboard and I was looking at
the 105 (bus speed) * 5.0 (multiplier) combination to
get me to 525Mhz.  That's a 125Mhz differnce in CPU
speed and a 5Mhz difference in bus speed (which might
affect the PCI/AGP bus speeds as well).  I would
assume that this is a conservative value.  Although,
maybe someone more experienced would let me know if it
would work or not.  Maybe I shouldn't even bother.

Opinions, Tips, Advice are welcome.

Joey