Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 18:07:38 +0400 (MSD)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (Andrey A. Chernov) <ache@nagual.ru>
To:        james@nexis.net (James FitzGibbon)
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feedback on CGI programs wanted.

> On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Mark Murray wrote:
>
> > Have a look at ports/www/wwwcount. That one puts its cgi binary into
> > the cgi-bin/ dir. Maybe you want to try that approach?
>
> That's actually the opposite to what I want to try.  That installs the
> binary in /usr/local/www/cgi-bin/Count.cgi.  It also puts some things into
> /usr/local/etc/Counter.
>
> My personal opinion is that if a machine is a dedicated web server, the
> persona responsible for running it isn't going to rely strictly on a port.
> Certainly since the port was out of date until about 3 months ago, many
> people set up Apache themselves.  Other people run Netscape commerce or
> CERN, which install into /usr/local/etc/https and httpd (I think).  My
> machines use /usr/local/www, but with everything (conf, logs, docs, the
> whole thing) under that one tree.

Lets take for example news system: all varions things (inn, cnews, etc)
uses the same /var/news directory in ports. The same thing is true
about various httpd too: they all must use the same /usr/local/www
thing (at least at symlink level). So /usr/local/www/cgi-bin is CGI final
place for all possible and future httpd ports. If you use your own
httpd (not from port), it is your task to make it compatible with
ports things.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nagual.ru>