Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:15:31 -0700
From:      Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
To:        Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>, Jung-uk Kim <juikim@engin.umd.umich.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anybody working on FreeBSD BIOS?

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:13:18 EDT, Robert Withrow wrote:

>parag@cgt.com said:
>:- None of the motherboard or chipset vendors (except for SiS) are even
>:- slightly interested in talking to us.
>
>Are they interested in talking to Linux folks?  If so, isn't that a
>reasonable alternative?  (I mean, team up with some Linux folks to
>get the info...)

Actually, the SiS folks are working with the Linux folks.  Other than
them, no-one else seems to be interested.  SiS doesn't make motherboards
- just the chipsets - so they're having much the same level of pain that
we are trying to figure out how things need to be turned on.  At least
they have BIOS gurus to help out.

No-one else seems to be interested.  There seems to be plenty of demand
for servers, which is why we decided to attempt this lunacy.  If anyone
has a useful contact at a motherboard manufacturer, *please* let us or
the LinuxBIOS folks know.

	-- Parag