Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:59:06 -0500
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Fwd: General thoughts and questions on FreeBSD]

--------------CC1E6D2786E9BBE2775D58F2

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:28:43 -0500
From: Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To: questions@freebsd.org
Subject: General thoughts and questions on FreeBSD

A 'hacker' friend of mine who is quite a Unix guru and who loves Linux
gave FreeBSD a try recently.  These were his comments:

       I *really* dislike the kernel configuration -- enabling/disabling
features causes the compile to crap out in different areas, so
       doing anything fancy becomes a time-intensive trial-and-error
job. Awful. And inflexible too; I was not able to select a
       PCMCIA NIC and a normal NIC [yeah, I was just toying around, but
what if I had a docking station?] without the compile
       crapping out. And the recommended FP stuff ['use GNU'] caused a
kernel panic when I rebooted.

       The docs seem more sparse for BSD --no NAG, so LPG, no SAG-- but
maybe I just never poked around enough. A lot of
       FreeBSD is the same as linux, of course, as linux is rather
heavily influenced by the BSD camp and they use many of the same
       tools.

       I like linux better even thouhg the bsd daemon is cooler ;) Linux
seems more flexible and seems to be a general unix with
       enhancements --like vim is to vi-- whereas FreeBSD is quirkly
like the other unixes. For some reason, linux never seemed
       to have many 'quirks' to me [relative to other unixes that is] --
everything is straightforward, and the tendency to implement
       both SysV and BSD features means it will act however you expect
it to.

       Of course I like BSD better than SysV [another factor influencing
by Solaris views], but the SysV init stuff is quite nice....

     <end quote>

Any thoughts on his kernel issues?  Those seem to be the only ones that
are major issues here.  Is FreeBSD 'quirky' ?  And what
advantages/disadvantages does FreeBSD kernel configuration have compared
to Linux ?

-jm