Date:      Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:29:05 -0400
From:      Christopher Black <cblack@securecrossing.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Celeron

--=-JAlsMaFFYHvfI9J/76Lx

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 12:12 -0500, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> On 6/13/05, Andreas Davour <ante@update.uu.se> wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> >=20
 Celeron CPU, on an Intel MOBO. Now, what platform should I choose from you=
r site: Alpha, i386? And also for and AMD Athlon XP 2600+ with an Asus A7V6=
00-X, what distribution?

> > > FreeBSD is an operating system, Linux is a distribution.
> >=20
> > Nope. Linux is an operating system kernel, as is FreeBSD. The latter
> > also happens to be the name of the operating environment.
> >=20
> > SuSE Linux, RedHat Linux or Debian GNU/Linux is distributions.
>=20
> When I say "operating system" I mean a "complete system". What good is
> a kernel if you have no way to make it do something?
>=20
> Windows  =3D Kernel + GUI + System tools + User tools
> OS-X =3D Kernel + GUI + System tools + User tools
> FreeBSD =3D Kernel + CLI + System tools + User tools
>=20
> With Windows, OS-X, FreeBSD, and the other BSDs you don't update this
> tool or that shell  or even the kernel when it becomes out of date,
> you update the whole system. The OS is managed by one party.
>=20
> Linux =3D Kernel
> SuSE, RedHat, Debian, etc. =3D Linux + 3rd party shell + 3rd party
> system tools + 3rd party user tools
>=20
> Those are distributions that "bundle" the Linux Kernel with other peoples=
 stuff.
>=20
> You could call GNU/Linux an operating system but I wouldn't, not after
> being introduced to an engineered system like FreeBSD. FreeBSD is to
> Linux as Gold is to Lead, there very similar but one is worthless.

On the contrary, lead has great worth if, for example, you need
radiation shielding.  A point of note is that the third party shells
packaged with Linux (such as bash or zsh) are the same third party tools
packaged with FreeBSD.  I would be inclined to say FreeBSD actually uses
a higher percentage of third party configuration tools than RedHat or
SuSE, who tend to write their own in order to be more user friendly.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't know of many instances where FreeBSD
provides custom (graphical) configuration utilities.

--=20
Christopher Black
Chief Security Engineer
Secure Crossing
22750 Woodward Suite 304 - Ferndale, MI 48220
Tel (800) 761-4299 | Direct (248) 658-6120
cblack@securecrossing.com | www.securecrossing.com

--=-JAlsMaFFYHvfI9J/76Lx

--=-JAlsMaFFYHvfI9J/76Lx--