Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 1996 08:29:54 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        nathan@netrail.net
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-question@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What is the max network IO on a FreeBSD box?

> T1 is slow; it shouldn't be a problem.  The best number's I've seen
> for FDDI is 60-something  Mbit/S... 2/3's of one wire bandwidth.
>
> You should go over the list archives for the -current list to get the
> actual performance figures on the 100 Mbit/S tests (I didn't run them,
> I'm just quoting from memory).

One datapoint which may be of interest: I have (repeatedly, consistently)
been able to get 75-80 Mbit/s between two P133s with SMC Etherpower 10/100
cards (100BaseTX) connected back to back with a TP crossover cable. Tests
performed with both netperf and ttcp give essentially the same results.
You can view my netperf results in the netperf database at

	http://www.cup.hp.com/netperf/numbers/NetperfBrowse.html

look for FastEthernet network type.

It should (at least in principle) be possible to do better with FDDI, due
to higher MTU.