Date:      Tue, 10 May 2005 12:35:38 -0400
From:      Jon Door <jondoor@udor.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ULE, 4BSD and xorg

Jiawei Ye wrote:

>On 5/3/05, Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net> wrote:
>

>>My apologies Nguyen.  ULE has fallen into a state of disrepair.  I would
>>not trust it until I spend some time sorting out the current crop of
>>problems.
>>

>I maybe the unlucky one, but with an recently-upgraded -current from
>-stable, startx reboots my machine too, even with 4BSD.
>
>Jiawei

When did you build your kernel?

On a kernel for may 7th. ULE was giving me frequent hard locks, video
from mplayer was jittery at times, and would jerk back and forth between
frames if I ran multiple video files (On older 5.Xs I was able to do
this pretty flawlessly). Sounds remained fairly smooth throughout but
running beep-media-player in concert with firefox seemed to aggravate
the hard locks. I switched to 4BSD and I am now seeing much better
performance across the board, still a few locks-- specifically when
performance is quite improved. This is subjective I have not performed
any benchmarks.

This machine is a Dual P3 933, setup as a desktop system. ASUS CUV4X-DLS
motherboard, 640MB ECC SDRAM, SCSI, Promise SATA150 raid controller,
GeForce FX 5200 running dual CRT.